What is zinc die casting?
Zinc alloy is the easiest metal to cast, it offers superior ductility, high impact strength, and good machining ability that allows diverse kinds of secondary machining process like CNC machining, stamping, drilling, etc. Zinc die casting parts give excellent surface smoothness.
However zinc die casting parts is susceptible to corrosion and often requires additional surface treatment like coating or plating.
Zinc is economical for small die casting parts, as it has a low melting point and promotes long mold tool life.
Zinc alloy generally has good dimension stability that allows tighter dimensional tolerances. Meanwhile it is also optimal for complex shaped parts with thin walls while offering excellent electrical performance and other physical properties. it leaves us alternative for various parts surface treatment . Like powder coating, electroplating, and painting . This is why zinc casting becomes more and more popular.
For process, it normally requires to use a hot chamber die casting machines(it’s also called gooseneck machines) to force molten material into a die casting mold tool where it cools and solidifies to form a certain kind of shape or parts.
When to use zinc die casting?
Compared to aluminum and magnesium alloy die casing, zinc die casting parts have more accurate in dimension, complicated in part structure , thinner wall section, and durable in application. And the cost of zinc die casting is cheaper than aluminum die casting. This is the main reason why people choose it. On the other hand, it is quite easy to perform secondary machining and surface treatment. Like CNC machining, drilling, sand blasting, electroplating, etc.
Advantages of Zinc Die Casting Parts:
- Precision tolerances of die casting parts
- Extremely durable ,high impact strength and hardness
- Produces multi-cavity, complex shapes within closer tolerances than many other manufacturing processes.
- Excellent electrical conductivity
- High thermal conductivity
- Low cost for raw material, economical for small parts.
- High dimensional accuracy and stability
- Excellent thin wall capability
- Ability to cold form, which eases joining
- High quality finishing characteristics
- Outstanding corrosion resistance
- Full recyclability
- Easily plated or finished with minimal surface preparation.
- Easy finishing, smooth casting surfaces
- Rapid production rate
Zinc Material Profile:
- Atomic Mass: 65.39 amu
- Melting Point: 419.58 °C – 692.73 °K
- Boiling Point: 907.0 °C – 1180.15 °K
- Number of Protons/Electrons: 30
- Density @ 293 K: 7.133 g/cm3
- Natural Color: Bluish or white
Zinc Die Casting Application:
- Power Tools
- Consumer Electronics